As Iron Sharpens Iron

An ongoing and online discussion between: an Orthodox informed Ecumaniac without a denominational home, an ordained Baptist youth pastor with an open mind, a Calvinist worship leader/seminarian with a staggering vocabulary and ability to make a point, and a cradle Catholic with a love/hate relationship to Rome.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Evangelical View of Christian Epistemology

Since we've had some of these discussion before, you probably know what I'm going to say and I probably know how you're going to respond, but for the sake of intellectual integrity, I'll write as if I don't.

I actually wrote a paper in seminary on where my understanding of systematic theology begins. For those who don't know, systematic theology is the discipline of understanding all that the Bible says on any given subject; for instance, on Christ. Most systematic theology books begin with Christology, or the study of Christ, as their basis. However, as I studied, it seemed clear to me that you have to base any theology on the inerrancy and inspiration of Scripture. Without the Bible, we can know nothing of Christ, the Holy Spirit, or pretty much anything else. In fact, without the Bible, you can only have a very limited understanding of God based on what we see in the world around us.

As a result, my basis for knowledge, for all things Christian, is the Bible and only the Bible. That understanding is informed by church history and the understanding of others, but only insofar as it falls in line with Scripture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home