As Iron Sharpens Iron

An ongoing and online discussion between: an Orthodox informed Ecumaniac without a denominational home, an ordained Baptist youth pastor with an open mind, a Calvinist worship leader/seminarian with a staggering vocabulary and ability to make a point, and a cradle Catholic with a love/hate relationship to Rome.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Ancient Celtic Prayer to Archangels

May Gabriel be with me on Sundays, and the power of the King of Heaven.
May Gabriel be with me always that evil may not come to me nor injury.

Michael on Monday I speak of, my mind is set on him,
Not with anyone do I compare him but with Jesus, Mary's son.
(Sts. Michael and Gabriel are pictured right)

If it be Tuesday, Raphael I mention, until the end comes, for my help.
One of the seven whom I beseech, as long as I am on the field of the world.

May Uriel be with me on Wednesdays, the abbot with high nobility,
Against wound and against danger, against the sea of rough wind.
(Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael are pictured right)

Sariel on Thursday I speak of, against the swift waves of the sea,
Against every evil that comes to a man, against every disease that seizes him.

On the day of the second fast, Rumiel -- a clear blessing --
I have loved, I say only the truth, good the friend I have taken.

May Panchel be with me on Saturdays, as long as I am in the
yellow-coloured world, May sweet Mary, together with her friend, deliver me from strangers.
(All seven archangels are pictured right)

May the Trinity protect me! May the Trinity defend me!
May the Trinity save me from every hurt, from every danger.

Troparion of the Holy Archangels:
Let us praise Cherubim, Seraphim, Thrones, Powers, Authorities and Principalities, Dominions, Archangels and Angels for they are the Bodiless ministers of the Unoriginate Trinity and revealers of incomprehensible mysteries. Glory to Him Who has given you being; glory to Him Who has given you light; glory to Him Who is praised by you in thrice-holy hymns.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hajiburton said...

Dear PF:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Ancient, and Celtic." This prayer depends on the Celestial Hierarchy of the Pseudo-Dionysius, which, although written in the 5th or 6th century, wasn't even translated from the Greek into latin in Western Europe until the 9th c., by John Scotus Erigena, and did not gain much currency until the 12th c., with such mystics as Hugh and Richard of St. Victor. Of course, Gregory the Great did transmit this particular piece of angelology (the 7 choirs) (and nothing else), from his own reading of Pseudo-Dionysius, but Gregory himself wasn't so much ancient as medieval, showing up in the 8th c.

Also, what might "the yellow-coloured world" mean? It is a beautiful image, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. Any ideas?

10:36 AM  
Blogger The Poor Blogger said...

As much as anything can come from anywhere or be labeled at all, this prayer is both ancient and Celtic. I consider ancient to be anything pre-dating 1000 AD at least, which this prayer certainly is. And it is Celtic because, even though the idea of the seven archangels came from somewhere else (as did the Christian faith itself), the prayer was penned in Ireland and has the hallmarks of that place. For instance, Friday is known as "the day of the second fast" (Wednesday being the first fast). The Gaelic names for the days of the week mirrored the Christian fasts observed.

The Troparion, however, is entirely Eastern Orthodox.

As for "the yellow coloured world", I don't know. I assume it means "sun drenched" but who knows?

Peace,
Me

11:11 AM  
Blogger Hajiburton said...

Dear PF,

Very interesting. I would say that I find the fifth century a convenient place to mark the end of the "ancient" period, (at least of the history of the church), and the beginning of the Medieval period (roughly commencing with the fall of the Roman Empire, and the reign of Gregory the Great on the Papal throne).

As to the yellow coloured world- what a fascinating difference you point out: I assumed that it means "jaundiced, or sickly," perhaps alluding to the world's corruptedness- the world as a "vale of tears."

Relativistically,
Sir R.F. Burton

2:00 PM  
Blogger fra edwin said...

Michael Militant
Prayer-poem from the Carmina Gadelica

"O Michael Militant,
Thou King of the angels,
Shield thy people
With the power of thy sword,
Shield thy people
With the power of thy sword

Spread thy wing
Over sea and land,
East and West,
And shield us from the foe,
East and West,
And shield us from the foe.

Brighten thy feast
From heaven above;
Be with us in the pilgrimage
And in the twistings of the fight,
Be with us in the pilgrimage
And in the twistings of the fight.

Thou chief of chiefs,
Thou chief of the needy,
Be with us in the journey
And in the gleam of the river;
Be with us in the journey
And in the gleam of the river.

Thou chief of chiefs,
Thou chief of angels,
Spread thy wing
Over sea and land,
For thine is their fullness
Thine is their fullness
Thine own is their fullness,
Thine own is their fullness.

Michael of the Angels

O Michale of the Angels
And the righteous in heaven,
Shield thou my soul
With the shade of thy wing;
Shield thou my soul
On earth and in heaven;
From foes upon earth,
From foes beneath earth,
From foes in concealment
Protect and encircle
My soul 'neath thy wing,
Oh my soul with the shade of thy wing!

"Prayer"

I pray and supplicate
Ciubh and Columba,
The Mother of my King,
Brigit womanly,
Michael militant,
High-King of the angels,
To succor and shield me
From each fay on earth.

The Aiding (first stanza)

May Brigit Shield me,
May Mary Shield me,
May Michael Shield me,
On sea and on land;
To shield me from all anguish
On sea and on land;
To shield me from all anguish.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home