As Iron Sharpens Iron

An ongoing and online discussion between: an Orthodox informed Ecumaniac without a denominational home, an ordained Baptist youth pastor with an open mind, a Calvinist worship leader/seminarian with a staggering vocabulary and ability to make a point, and a cradle Catholic with a love/hate relationship to Rome.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Epistemology

It occurs to me that our discussions are hampered because one might say, "The Bible says this" and I reply, "Well, the Church says this". Why does this matter? Because we have to agree, somewhat, on our source of Truth before we can appeal to it in our debates. I think we all agree that God is Truth, but we also believe that He is faithful in transmitting Himself to us. Thus, Christian Epistemology is how we know what we know.

I'm going to post all the links to my and Josh's debates over this. However, my position can be ultimately summarized thusly. IF we can trust that the Council was faithfully led by God in choosing the Canon of Scripture, THEN shouldn't we trust them in other matters, like their interpretation of those selfsame Scriptures? And IF our interpretation doesn't match up with what they were saying (as a whole, not individually), THEN should we question whether our interpretation is a good one?

Finally, before moving on, I tried to represent Catholic, Orthodox and my own viewpoints here. I probably did a poor job of each. Fra Edwin will correct me on the RC take and I'll do my best to be faithful to the Orthodox take.

Christian Epistemology

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home