As Iron Sharpens Iron

An ongoing and online discussion between: an Orthodox informed Ecumaniac without a denominational home, an ordained Baptist youth pastor with an open mind, a Calvinist worship leader/seminarian with a staggering vocabulary and ability to make a point, and a cradle Catholic with a love/hate relationship to Rome.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

St. Comgan and the Jewels

St. Comgan heard about a miser who owned a fabulous collection of jewels. The miser kept the jewels in a safe. Comgan called on the miser, and said: "I hear you have a fabulous collection of jewels. Would you allow me to see them?"

The miser replied: "It would be a pleasure. I haven't looked at them myself for many years, so I too shall enjoy seeing them." He opened the safe, took out a gold box and carefully placed the box on a table. He unlocked the box, and lifted the lid. Both Comgan and the miser stared with open mouths at the diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires which it contained. The miser dipped his hand in the box, and let the precious stones run through his fingers. Then after a few minutes he closed the box, and returned it to the safe.

"Thank you for giving me those jewels," Comgan said.

The miser replied: "I haven't given them to you; they belong to me."

Comgan said: "I have had as much pleasure as you from looking at them. So there is no difference between us - except that you have the expense and anxiety of buying and looking after them."

That day the miser gave away one jewel to every household in the town. There were just enough - with one left over for himself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Hello there,
I'm researching the work of Celtic Saints in the Western isles of Scotland but I can't find a great deal of information about St Comgan so I was wondering if you could suggest any souces? I would be very greatful. Thank you - Laura

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home